What We do
We assist in the provision of comprehensive care for orphaned, abandoned and needy children through strategic partnerships with orphanages and child-care centers in the nation of Myanmar.
Our involvement includes the following areas:
The provision of and material and financial support for numerous orphanages.
We currently provide monthly financial support for between 12 orphanages.
In addition, we provide various types of material support to orphanages, including food support, clothing, medicine, hygiene supplies, blankets, bed-mats, mosquito nets, bicycles and Christian literature, impacting more than 2100 children.
Mobile medical and dental clinics
This service has already been provided for over 180 orphanages and is on-going. To date, over five thousand children have received much needed medical and dental care. In addition to primary care, we have helped to arrange for life saving heart surgeries (including several open-heart procedures).
Training and equipping (capacity-building) national workers
One to four week comprehensive child-care seminars have been conducted annually by The Myanmar Compassion Project in the capital of Yangon, since the fall of 2001. The curriculum has been carefully formatted to address the areas noted above. Special emphasis has been given to such issues as the diagnosis and management of common childhood illnesses, nutritional concerns, and the maintenance of proper hygiene. In addition, other relevant topics addressed have included basic management principles and early childhood development issues. A total of approximately 245 care givers representing 150 orphanages have attended these seminars.
Orphanage construction projects
Through various partnerships, 20 new orphanage buildings have been constructed for these precious children.
Infrastructure improvement projects, including painting and minor repairs to homes as well as the construction of recreational facilities.
Through the generous support of Rotary International, we have been able to provide clean water facilities for 25 orphanages. Because clean water is such a critical need, we and Rotary are committed to going an additional 20 projects over the next 2 years.
Opportunities for Involvement:
- Join our prayer support team
- Donate material resources (books, educational tools, clothing, toys, hygiene supplies, vitamins)
- Become a financial partner
- $30 will buy a 50kg bag of rice
- $30 will support an orphan for one month
- $80 will buy a bicycle
- $100 will re-stock an orphanage medical kit
- $100 - $250 (depending on age) will pay school fees for one year
- $400, $800, $1200 will support an entire orphanage for one month with 10, 20, 30 children respectively
- $5 will buy toothbrush and toothe paste, an umbrella, or back pack
- $15 will buy a child shoes for a year
- $20 will buy a child 3 sets of school uniforms for a year
- $50 will buy recreational sporting goods for an orphanage (soccerball, jump ropes, etc)